Thursday, March 22, 2012

Post Apocalyptic Amusement Parks


This is creepy. According to this article, The Enchanted Forest was an amusement park in Maryland that has sat abandoned since 1989. Though there have been some attempts to restore it, some have had greater success transplanting and restoring the statues and buildings at another location. The place looks like I would have loved it when I was a kid, but now it kind of scares the hell out of me. I'm also reminded of one of my favorite scenes from the critically-maligned Steven Spielberg movie A.I.. The robot Haley Joel Osment is in a post-apocalyptic Coney Island...holy crap...this is the same thing. The future is here. Robots are among us...










The attempted recreation of the Enchanted Forest statues and attractions are nobly being carried on here.

And then here is a video of a similar story from Beijing where a Fantasy-themed amusement park was started and then stopped mid-way through construction. It also freaks me out.



Wonderland from catherine Hyland on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment