Saturday, September 4, 2010

Hero Status: Donald Gibb

It shall be officially recognized that Donald Gibb will be commemorated with Hero status for this blog.

I have admittedly seen a lot of movies. Some would say I've seen too many movies. They've played an immeasurably large part in my development: creatively, socially, other "-lys," etc. And everyone can remember movies they watched as kids (The Land Before Time, Walt Disney's Robin Hood, Roller Babies, Mrs. Doubtfire, Home Alone). But not everyone can remember those movies that really struck a chord with them some twenty years ago.

Ultimately, most of the movies you see as a child carry an intangible expiration date. Disney's Robin Hood was one of my favorites as a kid, but I don't think I would enjoy it nearly as much now. Movies like Ferngully, Rookie of the Year, and Ace Ventura are also perfect examples.

However, there are also those movies that are just as enjoyable, if not more so, when you watch them as an adult.
  • Star Wars trilogy
  • Hook
  • Ghostbusters 1 & 2
  • Goonies
  • Roger Rabbit
  • Gremlins
  • Batman
  • Revenge of the Nerds
This last movie is listed in bold for several reasons, but one of the most important is the inclusion of one character: OGRE, as portrayed by Donald Gibb.

Revenge of the Nerds served so many purposes for my development. One of the first movies in which I saw boobs -AND- "bush" (my primary introduction to the female anatomy). My first introduction to homosexuals and Asians (Lamar and Toshiro). And my first introduction to practical jokes and pranks.

The coming-of-age nerd-themed movie was important to me, too, because I was in every way a kid nerd. I didn't "grow out" of sweatpants until a late age (jeans were so uncomfortable). I was always the top of my class, much to the derision of my classmates. I was one of the first kids in my class to wear glasses. I didn't live in town so I couldn't walk to/from school or to/from the local swimming pool. And I had a severe interest in comic books and reading (still do).

That being said, I definitely identified with the nerds and their struggle to achieve acceptance with their peers. It is super odd, then, that I so much enjoyed the character Ogre.
(This is Ogre, burping into a microphone for the intramural burping contest)

I still can't put my finger on exactly why I reserved a soft spot in my heart for him. Maybe its because he wasn't truly a cruel character. Not like Stan Gable (as played by Ed McGinley of Dynasty, The Love Boat, and Married...With Children). Stan really pulled all the strings. Ogre just happened to be a buff guy that was easily manipulated.

And maybe that's why I have such a connection to Ogre. Despite the fact that Ogre was later introduced as a "nerd" as opposed to a "jock," maybe I'm affected by Ogre because he was a nerd that through sheer coincidence had the body and posture of a jock (much like myself). He was a strong guy, eager to please, and unfortunately he fell in with a bad crowd. I can claim the relate to the same qualities in myself.

And for whatever reason, I've picked up on Mr. Gibbs throughout my life as he bounces along his different roles. I never noticed him in Bloodsport (although ironically, this is where my best friend noticed him)


I've caught him in appearances through multiple short-lived TV series, and in weird cameos in movies (most recently in Hancock as a rehabbed con). But the place he's seemingly picked up the most traction recently, has been as a "What's In Your Wallet?" Capital One Viking.

And every time I see him, I think about calling mom and reminding her that I watched Revenge of the Nerds as a kid and how much of a "hard R" it would be today (just to tease and guilt her because, hell, she let me watch the copy she and dad recorded onto VHS from HBO, and I was WAY too young to be exposed to that movie). And I think about how I've grown as a man. And I think about how much in common I have with Ogre. Whether in terms of being undefeated in belch contests, in terms of being a buff guy in a group of unathletic dweebs, or in terms of continuing to enjoy what it is I do for shit's sake (because I assume Donald Gibbs appears in Capital One commercials for shits and giggles). I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. Its good knowin' he's out there. Donald Gibbs. Takin' it easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he keeps making commercials in swanky vacation spots.

While I was putting together this post, I found out a very interesting little tidbit about Mr. Gibbs, one that more than qualifies him for Hero Status. Apparently, Donald got into the brewing business, as co-owner of "Trader Todd's Adventure Beer." He appeared as their spokesman and was on the label of "Ogre Beer Lyte (an oxymoron). I mean, its not like he needed any relationship to a brewery to be a personal hero of mine, but damn it, it doesn't hurt at all.

I would be forever reticent to say that Revenge of the Nerds didn't play an important part of my development. With than in mind, I end this blog post with one of Donald Gibb's most important, most memorable, most influential movie quotes:
"NEEEEERRRRRRRRRDDDDSSSS!"
(THERE'S NOBODY BETTER TO BLAME FOR OGRE'S TRANSGRESSIONS THAN JOHN GOODMAN, ANOTHER HERO FOR ANOTHER POST)

2 comments:

  1. Unathletic Dweebs?!?! First to five on soul calibur.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome blog post. Revenge of The Nerds also played a pivotal role in my development and for all the reasons you list. We watched it at a friend's birthday (we also were WAY too young) and were so impressed we watched it 5 or 6 times more that day. We also loudly performed the theme song in the street.

    ReplyDelete